Tuesday, February 12, 2013

You Can't Miss This: Vintage Graphic Design and Older Vox Cover

A. This week on my blog, Blog Spoon Graphics, I came across thirty different vintage graphic designs used for advertisements, logos, product packaging, etc. I never realized how many modern companies use older styles for their design. There were many similarities among the fonts used and color palettes. Most of the colors used, if not grayscale, were neutral color palettes or dark colors. I did see a few with a brighter red but other than that the colors were dark. My favorite of the thirty options was probably for Sperry Topsider. Once again the typography caught my eye and I thought this appeared very clean and attractive. For the entire list go to http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/30-modern-examples-of-vintage-style-graphic-design

Here are some of the others:




B. I was googling original magazine features and one of the first images I came across was actually a Vox cover. I was really intrigued by the design and when I clicked to make it bigger I realized it was Vox! This is the one I found:
I should know who designed this, because I actually wrote the boutique article two summers ago, but I don't recall ever seeing the cover of this issue. I thought this was super creative. I also noticed how the teasers appeared a little differently also. I think it works for this design. I thought this cover was really creative and I think it's important as a designer to think outside of the box. The feature story was awesome too. With statistics, unless you're a complete sports fanatic, they can get pretty boring and/or confusing. I thought this feature design did an awesome job of breaking up the numbers and  creating a nice image for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment