Tuesday, February 5, 2013

You Can't Miss This: Typography Magazine Covers & Abstract Geometric Poster Design

A. I discovered a website with an article and images about typography magazine cover designs. This caught my eye because I personally love working with typography. I still feel like there is a lot for me to learn about font and typefaces, however, so I enjoy coming across sites like these. Coverjunkie showed numerous different covers over time that really played up typography and used words as visuals instead of photographs or illustrations. However, the ones I liked the most seemed to combine both.  Here are examples of some that I like.
(All covers can be seen on http://www.coverjunkie.com/blog/typographic-covers)



All of these ideas are creative. The typography is played up, but still not too busy or un-readable. All do a great job of keeping the image dominant.

B. On my blog, Blog Spoon Graphics, I read an article on creating abstract geometric patterns. I thought this was interesting, and relevant, because earlier in lecture today many of the designs we saw had a retro-ish vibe going on. The pattern that designer Chris Spooner creates looked a little bit retro to me. It also was textured, which we also brought up today in class. I liked this tutorial because it worked first with Illustrator, followed by Photoshop. I think with the spring preview assignment I realized how important it is to stay familiar, and proficient, with illustrator, so anything new I can learn on there is beneficial. I won't bore you with a step by step, but check out the finished look. I've found that the blog I'm following will really come in handy when I'm trying to spice up any design. There is always something new to learn for the programs we use.

Also something to check out on Blog Spoon Graphics is an "Inspiration Fix." Designer Chris Spooner posted some AWESOME designs that are his personal favorites. Here were some great ones. There are more to check out on the site. The Inspiration Fix link is above.


 Lil Wayne by Ryan Barber                                         JOCO by Jimmy Gleeson






2 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I love learning new skills on Illustrator and Photoshop! Plus, it pays off in the long run because honestly it seems like we're (understandably) expected to teach ourselves these skills and to know how to do advanced things on these programs will help us not only better translate our ideas into actual designs, but help us land jobs!! I also really liked the Coverjunkie's website. Some magazines, including Esquire, are always doing some pretty crazy things on their covers. It's awesome and inspiring though, because its the crazy and exaggerated covers that are being picked up and bought first at the newsstands! I'm really loving the Washington's Post "Lives" design cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with both of y'all about learning new skills on Illustrator and Photoshop, and even InDesign. I would just love to say that I enjoyed looking at the typographic covers you chose to post because I think it does add an alternative option to the same-old-same covers we see with celebrities. It's a funner way to advertise the story and draw the readers in. Right off the bat they are catching the readers attention by the story and different layout and design having the text on the photos. Having the grand, HUGE text makes the photos pop and almost seem three dimensional, which is definitely a nice effect.

    Abby A.

    ReplyDelete