Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Response: Thinking with Type Reading

I am finding Thinking with Type to be very interesting. As a designer, I enjoy any suggestions or techniques to fonts and typefaces. I often use typography as visuals in my assignments so I like hearing more and more about fonts. This book was a nice change from others because it gives reasoning behind font choices and also brief histories. Reading how a font or type choice became popular can really help when it comes to decision making. Designing is all about expression, and the smallest type choices can determine how a readers perceives a design.

A quote from the reading that really stuck out to me was "The history of typography reflects a continual tension between the hand and the machine, the organic and the geometric, the human body and the abstract system." I liked how Thinking with Type mentioned how some of the oldest fonts conform with modern ideas and are still used today with similar intentions. When I go through the numerous fonts on the computer I read "gothic" "egyptian" "condensed", etc. From reading this book I have a clear understanding on where those descriptions came from and why (and when) they should be used.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking with Type is probably one of my absolute favorite books for designing. The content in it is really great and I still pull it out to brush up on my font skills. Their breakdown of grids also helped me a lot because I really struggle with using a grid in my design. I'm glad you liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete