Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Response: Trends Assignment

Yesterday we began presentations for our Trends assignment. For my assignment I studied Vital Voice, an LGBTQ magazine in St. Louis. It was interesting because I was completely unfamiliar with this publication. Andrea Piamonte, a recent MU grad is now art director. It was crazy to see just how quickly people can be moved up in the magazine industry. Hearing about all of the MU alumni that have become art directors and designers really inspired me to dream big. I used to think some publications were out of my league, but I believe starting at maybe an internship or entry level position is the key to getting your foot in the door. I had a potential employer tell me that students graduating from the Missouri School of Journalism are a "step ahead of the pack"...so that was comforting to hear. 

I also realized how accepting alumni were and understanding of our experience in the job hunting process. I reached out to a Mizzou grad on LinkedIn and it was only an hour later until she replied with advice and a ton of websites offering job openings and internship opportunities. 
 
But back to Vital Voice...I thought their trends were very different from other publications. Their designs aren't very templated. Andrea mentioned how they let stories inspire designs. Here are a couple of covers that show how the typography and colors change. The bright colors are supposed to convey the fun and bold qualities of Vital Voice's brand.




No comments:

Post a Comment