Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Critique: More Debut Designs

I have finished a few more designs for Debut so I thought I'd share. After working with the publishers a little more talking about the stories and mission statement, I made some major revisions from my last design. I have three more department pages to design to those will be added to a critique in a week or so. A challenge I've faced is finding photos. Luckily Rachel gave us a nice website with some fair use photos and we have had some luck with the Meredith creative library finally. Here is what I started with for one of the "Essentials" department pages.
I loved the colors used but we agreed that it may differentiate from the other pages too much. I decided to add some of the consistent graphic elements in my revision, and used cutout photos instead of the rectangles shown above. Here is what I have now. Also, the content of the story changed a little too so revisions were unavoidable. This is subject to change as well but the current design is:
For another department page, I struggled with whether or not to keep it one page or a spread. The publishers seemed to like it ok on one page. I was able to fit the text very comfortably. The bottom photo is subject to change, but the library didn't offer much specification when I searched for some of the Chicago events mentioned in the text.


No comments:

Post a Comment