Tuesday, March 19, 2013

You Can't Miss This: Hand-written typography and student design awards

A. This week on the blog I follow, blogspoon graphics, Chris Spooner gives some great examples of hand lettering design. It sort of reminded me of one of my first blog posts I had about the college girl with all of the humorous hand written typeface designs. Spooner posted a variety of different designs. Some had words and letters that formed a picture, others were just nicely written words against a photograph background, and some were hand written words that added textures or other design elements to make them stand out.

Sometimes I think my bad handwriting could never produce something like these designs, but maybe with the right design elements and tweaking on illustrator or photoshop I can create something catchy. It's crazy how much these written words change when they are transformed with design programs. Here are some examples. For a list of all of the examples Spooner gave, click the link in my first sentence.








B. I also came across a website showing creativity awards for magazine, advertisements, branding, etc. I thought this was interesting because looking through the student winners can be really inspiring. They had dozens of categories for contests. Some included magazine cover design, typography designs, food and beverage packaging design, billboard design, and more. Here were a few that really caught my eye. For a complete list of the categories and the 2012 winners you can click here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia, I really loved all of the hand-drawn typography choices you shared with us this week. I'm a sucker for this type of design, and I think you picked really great examples of the possibilities that drawing something out by hand gives a designer. Really great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at all the different types of type. My plan over spring break is to read Just My Type and try to improve my font finding. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete