Tuesday, January 29, 2013

You Can't Miss This: Daily Dishonesty & Spooner's Twitter Background Tutorial




A. One simple google search for design blogs led me to a college grad's blog that I am now obsessed with. From www.thedsgnblog.com, I was linked to a girl named Lauren Hom's blog titled "Hom Sweet Hom." Clever, right? But Hom's best design work (in my opinion) was something I found on her blog titled "Daily Dishonesty." Hom explains that she got the idea as a senior in college so it was no surprise that I immediately liked it. She used her love for typography, copywriting and illustration to come up with these designs. She described the phrases as "lies I tell myself on a regular basis." I know I can agree with many. My favorite is her illustrations for her "Self Medicate With Chocolate" design. She went through many different sketches and designs on the computer before executing the final design. The images are protected but the following link will send you to all of them. Clicking on the first image will lead to the next.

Directly from thedsgnblog.com I found Hom's work she did designing for a restaurant known especially for their hot peppers. The following designs were appealing to me. It almost reminded me of Chipotle's designs, which makes sense because this restaurant also focuses on the natural quality of their food. Hom uses a nice variety of typography.



B. I emailed you all saying my blog pick from the list was linedandunlined.com but they haven't updated their posts in awhile. My new blog I'll be following this semester is http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/
For this week on Blog.Spoon Graphics I checked out an article about a customized Twitter background. Chris Spooner explains different techniques he uses to create an appealing and unique background for Twitter. These backgrounds put mine to shame...
To get spacing accuracy for his background design, Spooner took a screen shot of his Twitter screen, so he could place it in his design program. Reducing the transparency helped him see where the background belonged and what dimensions to use. The complete tutorial is here: 


This is what Chris Spooner's Twitter backgrounds looked like in 2009 and 2010. He has since updated I believe. 


1 comment:

  1. The self-lies blog is pretty cool. I think it's awesome that she hand letters all of those signs, and they're pretty hilarious. I wonder how she does that. She must sketch it out, I guess?

    It's like she's practicing a dying art almost. So much is done on the computer today, I don't know if anyone else is doing this sort of thing. It would make finding a job hard too, if that's what she's looking for. It does have a much more original look than something made in Illustrator, that's for sure.

    — Will

    ReplyDelete